Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Medicine for Burns...


This month's herbal medicine share includes a salve I formulated specifically for burns. I have wanted to create a burn salve ever since hearing Lancaster herbalist Rachel Weaver speak last year about how to treat burns naturally to speed the healing process and minimize the pain and discomfort of the victim (more about the burn treatment protocol I learned from Rachel here).

St. John's Wort

This salve includes lots of herbs that are great for burn treatments, including St. John's wort (specific for burns), comfrey (speeds healing), marshmallow (soothing and cooling), plantain (healing, soothing, and cooling), wormwood (antiseptic and pain relieving), and burdock (great for burns and pain relieving).

Marshmallow

Monarda
I also wanted to include honey in my burn salve, as it is great for healing bones all by itself (as long as it is pure and raw). But I decided to infuse my local wildflower honey with monarda flowers first. I mentioned monarda flower honey in my honey medicine post. I've been making this Kiva Rose inspired medicine for a few years now and it is great burn medicine in itself, but I wanted to add it to Burn Balm for a truly fantastic combination. I can't say I'm waiting for a chance to try out this newly created salve, burns are no fun and I try to avoid them at all costs. But the key to effective burn treatment is being prepared, so now I have a great salve to turn to in times of need.


Another great recipe for burns is one of the first herbal home preparations I ever did, and I've been making it every year since. This simple spray involves filling a 2 ounce bottle with aloe juice, adding lavender essential oil and a splash of vitamin E oil. Add a sprayer cap and store it in the refrigerator and it is ready to grab for instant relief for sunburn and kitchen burns. We also use it as a cooling spray on hot summer days. Spraying the forehead and back of the neck always elicits expressions of "Ahhh." From sweaty children. Lavender is a fabulous burn remedy, and almost everyone thinks of aloe for burns. The combination is perfect, and this bottle goes with me on day trips hiking or swimming in the sun.

The exact recipe for the herbal burn spray, along with dozens other great herbal recipes can be found in Kathi Keville's fantastic tome of an herbal, Herb's for Health and Healing.

Summer is a celebration of heat, but is great to have cooling recipes for when the heat is just too much.

Happy medicine making!


1 comment:

  1. I have never thought of making my own home remedy for burns and sunburns, but they sure can come in handy for immediate relief. I, however, have always been afraid about messing things up and ending up with something that has severe side effects. The aloe vera/lavender oil/vitamin E spray sounds easy enough though. Maybe I'll start with that...

    ReplyDelete