Monday, May 7, 2012

Busy in the garden...

This time of year things are changing so fast it's hard to keep up with it all...planting, harvesting, medicine making, and just taking in the wonder and beauty of Nature's changing face in the depth of springtime.
As they say, Nature waits for no one. And so, into the garden and wilds...


to harvest the nettles for drying...


collect choke cherry bark for elixir...


admire the angelica fireworks...


and find woodland treasures, like hepatica...


lobelia...


and coltsfoot (Rainer gets the credit for spying this one).

Happy Spring!!

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if you could share exactly how you dry your nettles? I have tried (twice this year) and it just turns dark, almost black and doesn't look dried, but more scorched or withered, or something unusual. Compard with the lovely nettle I buy it is so different! I'm curious how you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are turning black there is too much moisture, either on the plants when you harvest them, or in the air around them while they are drying. Make sure to harvest on a dry day well after the dew has evaporated from the plants. If you are air drying (either in bundles hung upside down, or on screens), make sure the location is dry and has good ventilation. This is tricky for me because we live in a flood plain and it is very moist here. The only place I can successfully air dry in in the attic bedroom of my house, and even that won't work for some things. I often use my excalibur dehydrator. It has a very low setting (115 degrees) that dries herbs nicely. Good luck.

      Delete