Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Garden is Waking Up!

I know winter is not quite over yet, but when the first herbs start waking up I know it that spring is nearly here. This week the garden is showing the first signs of new growth for the early risers, like the nettles, offering their first tender greens for our smoothies...


the archangel (which I'll be harvesting soon)...


lovely fresh catnip...


bright green yarrow leaves...


beautiful red-tinged meadowsweet leaves...


and new growth on the lady's mantle (I'm so glad to see she's returned after her precarious first year).


Every week more and more slumbering plants will be awakening, but these are the heralds in my garden. It is so magical to see them returning, reminding me that medicine making season is just around the corner. In fact, if I want to harvest the skunk cabbage root this year, I best get out there soon. The flowers are up, signaling digging time. And so begins another year with the plant medicine...

No comments:

Post a Comment